For this week's Literacy, we are writing a non-chronological report on Victorian schools (this is your heading).
You should be thinking about writing in third person, using facts to describe key details of each area within the main topic.
The features of a non-chronological report include some of the following:
- An eye-catching heading in a large font
- An introductory paragraph
- Text split up into paragraphs and each paragraph on a different aspect of the subject
- Sub-headings for each paragraph
- As Victorian schools are a feature of the past, you should be mostly writing in past tense (present tense when comparing with today's school system)
- Pictures of the subject (optional)
- Captions under each picture to explain what is in the picture (optional)
- Diagrams with labels (optional)
- Graphs or charts showing information about the subject (optional)
- Boxes containing interesting individual facts to grab the attention of the reader (optional)
- Technical vocabulary in bold, possibly with a glossary at the end (optional)
The four sub-headings you should be looking to include are:
- What was a Victorian classroom like?
- What subjects did children learn?
- How were children punished?
- Rich boys and schools for girls
Please feel free to edit the wording of these sub-headings if you wish to.
A rough guide for the week could be:
Read the modelled example and highlight key information and vocabulary.
Look up any words you do not know or understand with a dictionary (online or paper-based)
Create storyboard (break up modelled example into its paragraph and draw a basic picture highlighting key facts within that paragraph, adding key vocab and punctuation from that paragraph).
Using the planning sheet, break up each paragraph into bullet pointed notes so that you have a deeper understanding of the information within in topic.
Use various resources to build on this vocabulary - can you find any suitable synonyms for words the modelled example has used?
Wednesday and Thursday
Start writing your own version using your storyboard and plan - try not to look at the modelled example.
Carefully read over and edit what you have written so far, up-levelling and improving in a different colour if possible.
Finish writing your non-chronological report.